F1 Owners Purchase MotoGP For An Enormous Sum

Dorna was purchased by Liberty Media for an astounding 4.2 billion euros.

F1 Owners Purchase MotoGP For An Enormous Sum

The purchase of Dorna Sports S.L. by Liberty Media, (MotoGP) the owner of the F1 World Championship rights, was previously an open secret but became official on Monday, April 1.

To win the championship that features talents Marc Marquez, Pecco Bagnaia, Jorge Martin, and rookie Pedro Acosta, the Grand Circus directors will have to fork over a substantial sum of money. Around 4.2 billion euros are being discussed as a possible sum.

Recall that since 1992, Dorna has overseen not only the top class of motorcycle racing (MotoGP), but also Moto2 and Moto3.

It also owns the rights to the World Superbike Championship (WSBK), which Alvaro Bautista has won the past two years, and the MotoE World Cup, which is won by Mattia Casadei last year but is currently dominated by Jorge Torres in the electric class.

In 2024, there will also be a new FIM Women’s Circuit Racing World Championship.

Since 1994, Carmelo Ezpeleta has served as Dorna’s CEO, and he will continue in that role. The headquarters, which will continue to be located in Madrid, is another item that has not changed.

Not all of Dorna will be absorbed by Liberty Media. They clarified that they will have 86% control in the statement given to the media. The corporation under Ezpeleta’s leadership will hold the remaining 14%.

The transaction is anticipated to be finished by the end of 2024, it should be lastly said.

Reactions at the official announcement of the purchase

CEO and President of Liberty Media Greg Maffei has stated that he is happy with the acquisition.

“It gives us great pleasure to add MotoGP to our collection of top live sports and entertainment properties.”

“Globally recognized MotoGP boasts an ardent and devoted fan following, thrilling racing, and a highly profitable commercial profile. A fantastic athletic spectacle that we can bring to a larger worldwide audience has been created by Carmelo and his management group.”

Ezpeleta, in the meantime, stated:

“We are thrilled for what this significant achievement brings to Dorna, the MotoGP paddock, and racing fans. This is an ideal next stage in the growth of MotoGP.”

“To grow MotoGP’s fan base globally, Liberty is the ideal partner because of its outstanding track record in creating sports assets.”

About Author